CALL OPEN: June 1 – October 31 on www.CallforEntry.org
Bunnell Street Arts Center presents an Artist in Residence program for visiting artists from Alaska, US and International artists to create and share artwork that activates the Arts Center’s space and surrounding outdoor neighborhood sites. Bunnell’s Artist in Residence presents opportunities through art to explore creative placemaking: strengthening the physical, social and economic fabric of the community through the arts.
Bunnell seeks artist-led projects featuring community engagement through art such as poetry, new media, film, music, ephemeral art, dance, painting, theater, installation, creative writing or sculpture at the arts center and surrounding community.
Bunnell Street Arts Center is a multidisciplinary arts center located in a landmark building overlooking Kachemak Bay and the Kenai Mountains. Bunnell’s mission is to nurture and present innovative, exceptional art in all media for diverse audiences. A premier exhibition and performance space with historic charm on the main floor doubles as an open studio for artists in residence. Private rooms with shared or private baths for artists are located upstairs, with a shared kitchen and living area.
- Residency Length: one month
- Average number of artists in residence at a time: 3
- Number of artists accepted in most recent year: 8
- Artist Status: Emerging and Mid-career Artists
- Application type: Open application
- Geography: Open to US and International artists
- Application deadline: October 31, 2016
Facilities & Services
- Housing: Private bedroom in a shared housing facility
- Meals: occasional meals/food provided shared kitchen; restaurants nearby
- Computer/internet access: Wireless Internet
- Studios/special equipment: nipping press, small printing press, HD/3D video projector, HD video camera.
- Additional studio information:The artists studio is Bunnell’s main exhibition gallery, open to the public during regular gallery hours Monday-Saturday; It is not private.
- none / $30 application fee
Stipends / other support
- $1000 stipend for one month; up to $1000 for a round-trip coach travel to Homer, and lodging in a private room with a shared kitchen and living area above the arts center.
Additional expectations / opportunities
- To engage the community and impart a lasting effect, the artist shall provide an artist talk, a workshop and contribute at least one work of art created during the residency for installation, exhibit, performance, reading, screening or other such event upon consultation with the artist.